Memory foam is a synthetic material originally developed by NASA to meet their need for a protective material which offered high energy absorption upon impact as well as soft characteristics for comfort. Memory foam continues to outperform every other foam alternative with its superior combination of softness and stability. It may feel firm at first but as you continue to rest on a memory foam mattress it will glove to your body and almost seem to melt into a softly cushioned cloud. Many people liken the sensation to floating because the material cradles your body evenly.
Sleep Benefits of Memory Foam Mattresses
- Posturizing Support: Body heat relaxes memory foam, causing it to become softer in areas of higher heat. Because areas which come into contact with your body tend to be hotter, memory foam becomes softer the closer it is to your body and firmer as it is further away. This quality creates a cradle like effect as the mattress fills into the contours of the body, distributing and relieving pressure.
- Adjustable Foundation Compatibility: Adjustable foundations are beneficial to people who suffer from a variety of ailments from back pains and physical soreness to insomnia. Only memory foam mattresses are compatible with adjustable foundations as innersprings and even pocketed coils will compress each other internally which compromises the support unit of the mattress.
- Minimal Partner Disturbance: Memory foam absorbs energy and responds locally to movement which isolates surface movement more effectively than many other materials.
Note from the experts:
Memory foam offers several qualities which are unlike those of any other mattress material. However, the beneficial attributes can cause issues for some.
Some things to keep in mind:
- Memory foam is not recommended for those who have a very high weight or body density.
- Memory foam retains heat and is not ideal for those who tend to run hot during the night.
- Additionally, memory foam has a slower response time than an innerspring mattress which prevents it from pushing up quickly, enabling easier position change. This may also cause difficulty during intimate activities.
These concerns aside, memory foam remains an excellent option for those who appreciate the unique figure conforming sleep experience. It is also often the best option for sufferers of back pain or other types of soreness due to its extreme posturizing abilities and pressure relieving qualities.